Morris County Approves 30 Sites for Historic Preservation Grants

Image

Morris County considered some 30 sites for historical preservation funding a month ago, and as of yesterday (July 13), all the historical sites have been approved to receive funding.

Among the list of funded sites, five will receive a grant for the first time, and seven sites are located in Morristown – Morristown will see over $500k in preservation funding.

The 30 separate grants totaling $2.65 million will go towards funding and revitalizing 29 specific historical sites throughout Morris County, with one – the Seward House in Mount Olive – receiving two grants: 1. For partial restoration of the exterior of the 1860s farmhouse, and 2. For construction planning for interior work.

Of the approved funding, about 83% is allocated towards construction work on 15 of the projects, and the remaining funds (17%) will go towards the remaining 15 non-construction projects, such as preservation planning, pre-construction planning, and design work.

Morris County has now awarded 512 grants amounting to $45,945,925 to assist in the preservation, protection, and restoration of 122 historic properties since 2003 when grants were first issued for protecting historic sites through Morris County’s Preservation Trust Fund. The sites are located in 34 towns around Morris County.

The five first-time projects include:

The Boonton Civil War Memorial in the Town of Boonton

Non-construction grant of $4,950 will provide for a conditions assessment, recommendations, and cost estimates. This monument, known as the Soldier’s Monument, was built in 1876 to honor the local citizens who volunteered to fight for the Union in the Civil War.

Dr. John Taylor House in the Town of Boonton

Non-construction grant of $24k to assist with completion of a preservation plan. Built in 1897, the Taylor House was built as a private residence and medical office. In 1921 the building was bought by the Town of Boonton and became the Town Hall and American Legion post. The building is currently used as the Town Museum and headquarters of the Boonton Historical Society.

Samuel Tuttle House in Hanover Township

Non-construction grant of $36k to assist with completion of construction documents related to exterior repairs, including building structure and clapboard siding, interior finish restoration, and repairs. The Samuel Tuttle House was built in 1796 in the Federal Style by one of the early founding families of Whippany and was occupied by four generations of the Tuttle family.

The Lindenwold Mansion (Peck School Building) in Morristown

Non-construction grant of $47,568 to assist with completion of a preservation plan. Built in 1886 by William B. Skidmore and Julia Cobb, the High Victorian former residence is currently owned and occupied by the Peck School. The building is used for administrative offices.

The Mountain Lakes Train Station in Mountain Lakes

Non-construction grant of $24k to assist in the completion of a preservation plan. Built in 1912, the Mountain Lakes Train Station served the DL&W Railroad. The stone and concrete station features a standard plan adopted by the DL&W, with modifications to the layout due to the existing site slope. An active train station until the mid-20th century, the area was purchased by the Borough of Mountain Lakes and currently houses a restaurant.

See the full list of sites approved for historical preservation in Morris County here.



Follow Morristown Minute on Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter for more state and local updates.

3
I'm interested (1)
I disagree with this
This is unverified
Spam
Offensive

Replies