Applications Open for Morris County Recreation Trail Grant Program
Since 2016 the Morris County Board of Commissioners has allocated more than $4 million to build and enhance the growing network of local trails in Morris County.
The funds follow the public’s overwhelming vote in favor of dedicating a portion of the Morris County Preservation fund annually towards recreational trail development.
This year, nearly $1.8 million in grants for recreational trails will be available to Morris County’s 39 municipalities.
The 2022 Trail Construction Grant Program is currently open to applications. All municipalities in Morris County are qualified and encouraged to apply for funding.
Applicants are encouraged to attend the Program Workshop on Tuesday, May 24 to learn more about the 2022 Trail Grant application process.
How to Apply:
These deadlines must be met for an application to be considered:
- Schedule and attend Pre-Application Meeting with Program Administrator prior to the application deadline, July 29, 2022.
- By June 30, 2022 (Thursday) – submit a Letter of Intent along with all supporting documentation.
- By July 29, 2022 (Friday) – submit a completed application, specific to the type of project - Phase 1 - Design & Permitting Grantor Phase 2 - Construction Grant
Attend the Trail Grant Program Workshop:
A Program Workshop will be held virtually on Tuesday, May 24, 2022, from 1:00 PM to 3:00 PM. The Workshop will review overall program changes for 2022, the updated application process, and other program requirements.
Join the Workshop online or call +1-408-418-9388, Meeting number (access code): 263 327 80258.
Attend the Required Pre-Application Meeting:
All applicants are required to attend Pre-Application Meetings so that staff can guide your project accordingly, simplify the application process, and familiarize you with details of the program. Pre-Application Meetings will be scheduled from May through July 2022.
All Pre-Application Meetings will be held virtually. Contact the Program Administrator Denise Chaplick at 973-326-7605 or firstname.lastname@example.org to schedule.
Fill out and submit a Letter of Intent:
The Letter of Intent documents ownership of the property where the proposed project will be constructed and provides an initial estimate of project costs and grant requests. Deed verification is required.
Fill out the application that applies to you:
Download the correct type of application to your computer, then fill it out in Reader or Acrobat.
- 2022 Phase 1 - Design & Permitting Grant Application (for design and permitting phase)
- 2022 Phase 2 – Construction Grant Application(for minor or major construction projects)
Follow these instructions:
- Application Submission Instructions
- Construction Cost Estimate (Applies ONLY to Phase 1: Design & Permitting, and Phase 2: Minor Construction)
Use these materials to complete your Trail Grant Application:
- U.S. Forest Service Trail Fundamentals-Design Parameters Matrix
- Penn Trails LLC Handout – Sustainable Trail Planning & Management Strategies - Sample Resolution
Submit your application:
Submit 3 copies of the application (1 original and 2 copies) along with one electronic copy via CD by Friday, July 29, 2022, at 4:00 PM.
Address your application to:
Denise Chaplick, Trail Grant Program Administrator, P.O. Box 1295, Morristown, NJ, 07962-1295
In-person delivery or overnight use:
Denise Chaplick, Trail Grant Program Administrator, 300 Mendham Road, Morristown, NJ, 07960
After Submission, be prepared to answer questions from staff:
The Program Administrator may contact applicants to clarify the information submitted with your application. Applicants should be prepared to respond to questions and provide additional information as requested.